Birchtown Plaque

On July 20, 1996 two plaques commemorating the Black Loyalists were unveiled in Birchtown, Shelburne Co. NS. The unveiling ceremony was preformed by:

Two of the areas direct descendants of the Black Loyalists, Everett Cromwell of Birchtown and Lawrence Bruce of Lower Ohio, were also on hand for the unveiling ceremony.

Of the two plaques one displays art work by Henry Bishop, the curator of the Black Cultural Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia. It depicts the passage to freedom from slavery through the General Birch certificate which gave permission to its holder for passage to Nova Scotia. The other plaque contains the following insciption commemorating the landing of Black Loyalists at Birchtown.


After the American Revolution , over 3500 free African
Americans loyal to the Crown moved to Nova Scotia
and New Brunswick where they established the first
Black Communities in Canada. Birchtown, founded in
1783, was the largest and most influential of these
settlements. The population declined in 1792 when
many Black Loyalists, frustrated by their treatment in
the Maritimes, emigrated to Sierra Leone in West
Africa. Although diminished in numbers, Birchtown
remains a pround symbol of the struggle by Blacks in the
Maritimes and elsewhere for justice and dignity.

Return to Black Community Sources Page
Return to Shelburne Co. Genealogical Homepage
Last modified May 16, 2002.